The many benefits of straighter teeth
A better smile ‑ that’s what our patients tell us they want when they come to us to get their teeth straightened.
At Brixworth Dental Practice we offer a range of discreet and fast-working orthodontic treatments for both adults and children to help straighten out teeth and create smiles to be proud of.
One of the most advanced orthodontic options we offer is Invisalign, which uses a series of clear, removable aligners to gradually straighten teeth, without metal or wires.
But did you know that the benefits of getting your teeth straightened can be more than just increased self-esteem and confidence? Better brushing, improved gum health, easier eating and clearer speech are some of the other benefits of having your teeth aligned:
- Straight teeth are easier to keep clean – straight teeth are easier to brush and floss than crooked and overlapping teeth, which are more likely to trap food particles.
- Lower disease risk – having easy-to-clean teeth will then lower your risk for gum disease, which can lead to heart disease and may contribute to diabetes.
- Cheaper dental care – people generally have fewer severe dental care issues when they have straight teeth. Fewer issues means fewer visits and lower costs.
- Fewer headaches – alignment issues contribute to bad bites and teeth grinding, both of which can lead to headaches. Correcting alignment will help alleviate these issues.
- Less chipping – the more your teeth jut, the more likely they could get cracked or chipped. This is a particularly important consideration for players of high-impact or contact sports.
- Lower risk of lip and gum injury – crooked teeth can push against soft tissues in the mouth. If you routinely bite your cheek or lips due to a misaligned bite, it can result in cuts, sores, and infections ‑ not to mention the annoyance.
- Better digestion – poorly aligned teeth can compromise chewing, and chewing is the first step of proper digestion. When you chew, saliva carries enzymes that help break down the food, making it easier for the stomach and intestines to do their jobs and reducing the number of bacteria needed to help break down nutrients in the gut.
- Clearer speech – try pronouncing “van” or “fan” if you have a gap in your front teeth, and you may find that you’ll whistle a little. Clearer speech is naturally a confidence booster.
- Smiling more and feeling happier – Research shows that smiling, even if it’s forced, actually makes you happier. If you are self-conscious about crooked teeth, you might not be smiling as much as you would otherwise.
Please get in touch to make an appointment to discuss how we can help improve your smile, to find out more about the orthodontic solutions we offer, or for full details of our Invisalign offer.