Why a good home dental programme is important and how to set one up
In between regular visits to Brixworth Dental Practice, Northampton there are simple steps that you can take to greatly decrease the risk of developing tooth decay, gum disease and other dental problems and helping you to Smile for a Lifetime.
- Brushing thoroughly twice a day for two minutes using small circular movements to clean your teeth and gums.
- If you can, its better by far to brush before breakfast because eating and drinking naturally weakens the enamel on our teeth, and brushing straight afterwards can cause tiny particles of enamel to be brushed away. It is best not to brush your teeth until at least one hour after eating. So before breakfast and before bed are perfect times.
- Remember not to rinse your mouth out, let the toothpaste carry on its good work and use toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Electric brushes can be really helpful at reaching those bits of the mouth that are hard to get to, such as the backs of your teeth. Some electric brushes also let you know how long you need to brush for, which is good. But it doesn’t really matter what brush you use either electric or manual as long as you brush regularly and brush well.
- Rinse with a fluoride mouth rinse if our hygienist recommends you to.
- Floss daily.
- Eat a balanced diet and limit snacks between meals.