Invisalign vs. Adult Braces
Dentistry is an ever-evolving industry and dental professionals are always looking for new and effective ways to provide high-quality dental treatments. Take teeth straightening practices – the days of regular braces are almost over and treatments such as Invisalign are becoming more popular than ever.
So, what is the difference between technologies such as Invisalign and adult braces? Below we discuss what they are and how effective they can be.
The inside knowledge
Speaking to Marie Claire regarding cosmetic dentistry, Dr Mark Hughes who founded Harley Street Dental Studio, says: “Like medicine, dentistry is a technology-driven profession with more innovations materialising by the week. Digital photography is the big one.
“It enables us to explain conditions and treatment options to patients with more clarity via Google Slides and Loom. Digital scanning means treatments are efficient, effective and less invasive than before.”
Since Dr Neil Counihan, a leading orthodontic specialist, qualified as a dentist 15 years ago, he’s seen a huge rise in orthodontic treatments taking place: “I’ve seen an explosion in adults, particularly in their twenties and thirties, getting braces.
“My philosophy is that I don’t like taking healthy tissue out of a healthy human. But using the latest technology I can use a non-extraction phase-driven approach. Also, traditionally braces had elastics wired into the bracket; these were heard to clean as they would fill with saliva. Today, the lighter, smarter design means less intrusion.”
“Show off your smile, not your braces.”
Invisalign braces are effectively a removable alternative to adult braces which are bracketed with wires and often irritate the gums. It’s no surprise that more than 2.5 million people worldwide love the benefits of Invisalign:
- You can take them out when you eat, drink and brush your teeth, meaning better overall oral health.
- The 3D treatment plan by Clincheck shows the series of movements your teeth will develop over the duration of your treatment which means you will see the overall result before you’ve had the brace fitted.
- Our professional dentist at Brixworth Dental Surgery are able to use highly advanced computer technology specific to Invisalign.
Adult braces have progressed since the earlier days of ‘train-tracks’ and bulky structures, but are still a popular option for those looking for teeth straightening treatments due to industry updates:
- Made from high grade stainless steel, the braces are fixed to the teeth with a thin archwire which puts pressure on the teeth which straightens the teeth over time.
- Some types of traditional brace, such as self-ligating, have brackets which don’t need the elastic ‘o-ring’ bands – meaning less irritation on the gum and less time trying to manually place the bands on the relevant hooks.
- These braces are now lighter and more comfortable than ever before. The developed overall structure is a lot more comfortable and doesn’t cause irritation when eating.
What should I choose?
Your dentist may provide specific treatments plans for your teeth straightening procedure, which will help you decide which one is more affordable in the long run. However, when it comes to the treatment itself, always go for what is more comfortable and effective for your dental needs.
Your highly-qualified dentist and nursing staff will offer expert advice and explain what is right for you, so you can get on the path to straighter, healthier teeth.
Invisalign treatments & Adult Braces at Brixworth Dental
It’s easy to see why so many patients, especially celebrity figures, are now choosing various methods of teeth straightening as new industry practices emerge year on year. If you’d like more information about Invisalign or our fantastic range of adult braces, and to arrange a consultation, contact our friendly practice team today.